Taiko

Monday, October 12, 2009 ·
The Japanese Art of Drumming

For many years I have had an interest in Taiko, the Japanese art of drumming. The literal translation of the word taiko from the Japanese means "big drum." So when you hear someone refer to taiko drums, if taken literally they are actually saying, "big drum drums." Taiko is the generic term and is used when referring to the style of drumming.

I don't know if it's the sound they create or whether it is my amazement at the player's discipline, precision and stamina. Probably a mixture of all of the above.

My main hobby is the martial arts, and in my mind Taiko players share many of the same attributes as martial artists. For example, the commitment to practice and developing skills, the cultivation of stamina/energy and a certain amount of showmanship are shared by both. In Japan practitioners learn the art of Taiko in a Dojo; the literal translation is, "place of the way". Exponents of Karate will also attend a Dojo. In both instances the training and the transmission of the arts are rigidly structured and highly disciplined.

In recent years I have noted a rise in the number of opportunities to see Taiko troupes in Britain. Not all the groups are Japanese and there is a wealth of talented British players. Pretty much all of the events are well attended. There is even some fusion stuff going on, it may not be for the traditionalist but it is really interesting.

Taiko has even made it into the corporate world and companies or organisations can use Taiko as a team building exercise. There is also a number of Taiko Groups that run evening classes and weekend workshops for the enthusiastic amatuers amongst us.

One of the drawbacks in the UK is that drums are very, very expensive and equipment is hard to source. I should know I spent long enough looking for a pair of bachi (drumsticks) for my wife, in the end I made them for her.

This year we saw the 5th Annual Taiko Festival held in Exeter and was organised by Kagemusha Taiko. The 6th Annual Taiko Festival is already being organised and again it will take place in Exeter on 16-18th July 2010.

So what is the appeal of Taiko?
For some reason drums of all kinds from Samba to African seem to evoke an almost primeval instinct within many people. It may have something to do with the fact you can actually feel the music and rhythm.

Hey, it may not be for everyone, but you should go and see a Taiko troupe in action. You would need to be pretty cold not to be impressed on one level or another.

My name is Malcolm Murphy and I own and run http://www.ichinisanbachi.com a company that manufactures and sells bachi (Taiko Drumsticks). To the best of my knowledge Ichi Ni San Bachi is the only company in Britain where you can buy bachi online.

It came about by a strange quirk of fate: when trying to find a set of bachi for my wife it became apparent that nobody in the UK provided this particular service, and if I wanted to buy them I would need to pay through the nose for them as they would have to be imported. Once I had made them for my wife, other Taiko Players asked her where she had managed to get them and the rest is now history.

Relate Post